Last week the Microsoft Ignite took place. In normal times, over 25,000 IT people would have made the pilgrimage to an American metropolis. Due to COVID-19 the conference was consistently held online. Since participation was free, significantly more people were able to attend the sessions in the end. There were no big announcements, but there was something for everyone.
For Teams Users
- A new Home Site App in Microsoft Teams allows the SharePoint homepage to be displayed in teams and thus brings together the two most important tools of an information worker.
- New Together Mode scenes allow online meetings to be more interactive and natural. Later, «custom layouts» are added, which vary the way the content is presented to the viewer.
- Breakout Rooms allow you to split up into smaller groups during an online meeting, for example for brainstorming.
- The maximum number of members in a team is increased from 5,000 to 25,000 members.
- With the Surface Hub 2S 85-inch model, which will be available in January 2021, the Surface Hub 2 has got a big brother. We have two Surface Hub 2 in our Zurich office – call us if you would like to get to know the device better.
For Information Workers
- SharePoint Syntex, based on Project Cortex, uses AI to identify the content of a document and extract metadata. We are getting closer to our dream that metadata no longer needs to be filled manually but is automatically recognised and set by the system.
- Microsoft Lists is an evolution of the SharePoint lists. The rollout has started in July 2020 and new features like a mobile app for iOS, a teams app and @Mentions in comments are added.
- With Microsoft Search a search over files, people, meetings and messages is to be offered. Microsoft Search is accessed in Teams, SharePoint, in the Desktop Search Bar and in many other places.
- Microsoft Stream, the video app in Microsoft 365, is rethought and more strongly integrated into SharePoint. This simplifies the sharing concepts, access from the search and linking to existing content.
- .NET 5 is available as Release Candidate. This allows the realisation of smaller and faster single file applications that require less memory. Ideal for micro services and apps that run in containers.
- GitHub Codespaces is a browser-based development environment. You can use it to write, build, test, debug and deploy code in the browser. Visual Studio 2019 now also supports GitHub Codespace.
- With the Private Azure Marketplace, organizations can provide their own marketplace for tested applications.
- The Azure Communication Services provide a communication platform for public preview. This allows chat, message, voice and video functions to be integrated into the own application. Azure Communication Services uses the same secure platform as Microsoft Teams.
- Microsoft bundles the Threat Protection technologies under the brand «Microsoft Defender». This enables both the endpoint and the Azure and Cloud Environments to be protected against attacks.
- Microsoft Edge will also be available for Linux from October.
For the Innovators
- The HoloLens 2 is now also available in other countries such as Switzerland. Since a few days we at isolutions have a HoloLens 2, please give us a call if you want to know how this device can simplify your business.